Commemorating the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.
UM-Dearborn celebrates life of Martin Luther King Jr. with week of events kicking off with Day of Service on Monday, Jan. 16, 2011
“Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better,” said Martin Luther King, Jr. To commemorate his life and legacy UM-Dearborn will host a week of programs and events inspired by this quote and dedicated toward nonviolent social improvement and the development of positive communities.
The week kicks off on Monday, Jan. 16, with the 19th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Community Day of Service. The community service event, which was established by UM-Dearborn and the United Way for Southeastern Michigan, brings more than 600 volunteers to sites around metropolitan Detroit, including nonprofit agencies, soup kitchens, senior centers and schools.
The MLK Day of Service runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., with participants meeting at the University Center (UC) on the UM-Dearborn campus and then departing for their selected sites. Volunteers will be dispersed throughout the metropolitan Detroit area to support local community agencies.
The group will reconvene at 12:30 p.m. for a reflection lunch. The University collaborates on the event with Madonna University, Davenport University, Henry Ford Community College, Oakland University, Oakland Community College, Wayne State University and the United Way for Southeastern Michigan.
Students, faculty and staff interested in volunteering should register at http://www.formstack.com/forms/?1131264-NamxXg7r3J.
The week continues with a variety of events for students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members on the UM-Dearborn campus. A tentative schedule for the week is below, with all events held in the University Center.
Tuesday, January 17
- 12 p.m. – Noon Day Observance, Kochoff Hall A
- 3 p.m. – Discussion of TLC’s All-American Muslim, Kochoff Hall C
- 6:30 p.m. – Staging Hope, Stage
Wednesday, January 18
- 2 p.m. – Conversation on Race with special guest Roland Martin, Kochoff Hall
- 7 p.m. – Leadership Lens Film: “Chisholm ’72: Unbought & Unbossed,” Kochoff Hall A (Website – http://www.pbs.org/pov/chisholm/)
Thursday, January 19
- 6:30 p.m. – Medicine for fun not funds with Dr. Patch Adams, Kochoff Hall (Website – http://www.patchadams.org/)
Friday, January 20
- 10:30 a.m.- Living a life of Joy with Dr. Patch Adams, Kochoff Hall (Website – http://www.patchadams.org/)
- 12 – 5 p.m. – SOLID Lite Student Leadership Conference, Fairlane Center North
Monday, January 23
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Volunteer Fair, Kochoff Hall
For more information about MLK Day, visit www.umd.umich.edu/mlk/ or call the Student Activities Office at 313-593-5390.